De Montfort University originated in the Leicester School of Art, founded in 1870. A Technical School followed in 1882. The aim of both schools was to provide skilled workers for local industry. In 1897 the School was taken over by the Town Council of the County Borough of Leicester and renamed the Leicester Municipal Technical and Art School.
The Schools went through various changes of name and mergers before amalgamating to become the City of Leicester Polytechnic in 1969. In 1992 this became De Montfort University.