Reference number
  • D/043
Level
  • Collection
Date(s)
  • 1947
Extent and medium
  • One booklet
Description
  • ┆Booklet entitled *Leicester College of Art War Work 1939-1945*, recording the contributions of the College of Art to the war effort during the Second World War. Activities mentioned include the design and manufacture of posters, signs, guide books and leaflets for the local Civil Defence Committee and the Publicity and Development Committee; the entertainment of distinguished visitors from abroad and Armed Forces personnel; the manufacture of hospital furniture and equipment for the City Health Department; the decoration of restaurants, canteens and air raid shelters with murals; preparation of models and charts for the Town Reconstruction Committee; and provision of training courses for members of the Armed Forces. The publication is illustrated with examples of these works. It was designed and printed by the School of Printing at the College.
Administrative history
  • The Leicester School of Art was founded in 1870, the Leicester Technical School in 1882. In 1897 the Schools were taken over by the Town Council of the County Borough of Leicester and renamed the Leicester Municipal Technical and Art School. A new building (now known as the Hawthorn Building) was constructed allowing the art and technical classes to be brought together for the first time. While they shared premises, the Schools were run by separate Principals who reported to a Sub-Committee of the Education Department. The School went through various changes of name. In 1919 it was called the City of Leicester School of Arts and Crafts and the City of Leicester Technical School. In 1925 this was changed to City of Leicester College of Arts and Crafts and City of Leicester College of Technology, and from 1929 the Leicester Colleges of Art and Technology. In 1969 the Colleges formally amalgamated to form the City of Leicester Polytechnic. In 1992 the institution was awarded university status and changed its name to De Montfort University.
Conditions governing access
  • Open and available for research. External users are advised to contact the Archivist for an appointment.
Conditions governing reproduction
  • Copying is permitted for research purposes only.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
  • Part of the institutional archive of the University.
Archivist's note
  • Catalogued by Katharine Short, Archivist, August 2013.