┆Sir Peter Soulsby has been the Mayor of Leicester since 2011. He was born in 1948 and attended a grammar school in London before studying at the City of Leicester Training College for Teachers, where he gained a Bachelor of Education degree (BEd). He worked as a teacher at Crown Hills Secondary Modern School and in special schools before entering politics, elected to Leicester City Council in 1974 as a Labour councillor. He served as Leader of the Council twice and then as Member of Parliament for Leicester South from 2005 to 2011. He was elected Mayor of Leicester in May 2011 and has been re-elected twice.
The City of Leicester Training College for Teachers opened in September 1945, with buildings in Humberstone Road from 1946. At first only female students were admitted. The course was suitable for those wishing to become primary or secondary modern teachers. From 1951 men were admitted on a special one-year supplementary course, and then from 1958 they were admitted to the full two-year course, if they were under 25 years of age and single. By this point the Humberstone Road buildings had become far too small for the intake of the College. In 1954 the Council bought Scraptoft Hall with the surrounding 44 acres of land. The Hall was a Queen Anne manor house which was converted into offices, while new buildings were added on the grounds including an assembly hall, dining hall, library, kitchen, main teaching block, arts and crafts block, music pavilion, gymnasium, administration offices and halls of residence. The College was able to move into these new premises in 1960. At some point between 1962 and 1968 the College changed its name to the City of Leicester College of Education. The College was a constituent member of the School of Education of the University of Leicester, through which degrees were conferred. In January 1976 Leicester City Council resolved that the College should merge with the other institution under their control, Leicester Polytechnic. A Merger Working Party was formed which revised the structure of the Polytechnic's Faculties and Schools to incorporate staff from the College. Teacher training would continue under the School of Education, part of the Faculty of Education, Humanities and Social Science. The merger officially took place in September 1976. The Polytechnic began operating across two sites, the Central Campus and the Scraptoft Campus. This arrangement continued when the Polytechnic became De Montfort University. The Scraptoft Campus was sold in 2003 for development. De Montfort University continues to offer a course in Education Studies.