┆Walter Brand was born in Ipswich, Suffolk, in 1872, the son of a merchant. In 1889 he was articled to local architect Brightwen Binyon and meanwhile studied architecture at the Ipswich School of Science and Art. He qualified as an Associate of the Royal Institute of British Architects (ARIBA) in March 1896. For a few years he worked in Birmingham before establishing his own practice in Leicester in 1897.
In 1899 Brand was awarded first prize in a competition to design Leicester Wholesale Market, which was opened in 1902. He also designed churches, schools and houses in Leicester and the surrounding area. He was President of the Leicestershire and Rutland Society of Architects from 1921-1931 and Honorary Treasurer of the Leicester Society of Artists for 32 years. He was awarded Fellowship of the Royal Institute of British Architects (FRIBA) in 1930. He retired in 1953 and died in June 1959 aged 87.
Buildings designed by Brand include: - Harvey Lane Memorial Hall
- Aylestone Baptist Church
- Alderman Sir Jonathan North School
- Schools at Botcheston and Kirby Muzloe
- Housing schemes at North Bridge Estate and Wyggeston Housing Estate.
Source of information: *Directory of British Architects, 1834-1900* and obituary in *RIBA Journal*, volume 66, 1959, page 405.