Reference number
  • L/003
  • Collection
  • c.1870 - c.1960
Extent and medium
  • One Timecare photograph box and an oversized folder
  • A collection of postcards, drawings, engravings and photographs of buildings and street views in Leicester and Leicestershire. Buildings featured include Leicester Castle, St Mary de Castro, the Magazine Gateway, the Turret Gateway, Wyggeston's Chantry House, Skeffington House (Newarke Houses Museum), Jewry Wall, the Guildhall, churches, manor houses, educational buildings and war memorials. There are also some maps. All images black and white unless otherwise stated.
Administrative history
  • This collection was kept in the Library of the Leicester School of Art and its successors as a teaching resource for students of architecture and local history. Several of the postcards are annotated with historical and architectural information about the building featured. The majority date to around 1915-1917 and it was likely that the collection was first formed at this date.
Conditions governing access
  • The collection is open and available to all. External researchers are advised to contact the Archivist to make an appointment.
Conditions governing reproduction
  • Copies may be made for research purposes.
System of arrangement
  • The collection has been arranged in the following series: - L/003/01: The Newarke and Castle Precinct - L/003/02: The Guildhall and Cathedral - L/003/03: Other Leicester Buildings - L/003/04: Churches and Religious Buildings - L/003/05: Manor Houses and Halls - L/003/06: Education Buildings - L/003/07: Leicestershire Images - L/003/08: Maps - L/003/09: War Memorials
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
  • Transferred from the main Library holdings to Special Collections.
Archivist's note
  • Catalogued by Katharine Short, Archivist, April 2015.