In 1330 Henry, 3rd Earl of Leicester and Lancaster, commissioned the construction of an almshouse and hospital to treat the poor and infirm of the city, to be built on land bordering the castle precinct. Originally called the Hospital of the Honour of God and the Glorious Virgin and All Saints, the institution became Trinity Hospital in 1614. Although the building was reconstructed in 1776 and again in 1901, the original medieval chapel can still be seen in Trinity House. In 1994 the old hospital premises were sold to DMU and a nearby site on Western Boulevard was purchased to provide comfortable housing for elderly people.
The armour in this collection was on display in the Chapel of Trinity Hospital for many years. It is likely to have been used for ceremonial purposes, or to have a connection to the nearby Magazine where it is known that armour and weaponry were stored during the English Civil War.