Paper records comprise administrative records, property deeds, inventories, and valuations along with documents relating to a business partnership with Japan. Other items include:
- Textbooks which demonstrate and explain technical elements of textile production.
- A number of promotional material and photographs as well as non-promotional photographs of company events and the visit of Princess Anne.
- Magazine and newspaper cuttings.
- Clothing and textiles samples of William Baker brand clothing and designs, including children's pyjamas, trousers, baby leggings, vests, and some adult underwear and shorts.
- Oversized items: a framed building plan, a staff notice, and a collection of children's dolls wearing company affiliated garments.
William Baker Ltd. was a textile manufacturers specialising in children's clothes and underwear. The main factory building was based in what is currently the John Whitehead building on De Montfort University Campus. The company opened on this site in 1905, and purchased a further building on Newarke Close, Leicester in 1985.
The company was closely associated with the Leicester & District Knitting Industry Association, as well as Beautex de Lux clothing. It also maintained trade and industry links with Japan, and Japanese documents feature in the collection.
The company ceased trading in November, 2000.