Reference number
  • L/022
Level
  • Collection
Date(s)
    Date range
    • 1889-1988
Extent and medium
  • Approximately 12 linear metres
Description
  • ┆The collection includes correspondence, reports, injury settlements, installation reports and meeting minutes.
Administrative history
  • ┆The National Union of Mineworkers (NUM) was formed in 1945 from the Miners' Federation of Great Britain, itself founded in 1888. It is a trade union for coal miners, and fought for better wages, holidays, pensions and working conditions. Within the organisation, each coalfield continued to exercise a degree of autonomy, having its own district association, president, general secretary, and headquarters.  The Leicestershire Miners’ Association was founded in 1887 as the Coalville and District Miners’ Association. It became part of Leicestershire NUM when the national union formed in 1945.The Leicestershire Coalfield covered Bagworth, Ellistown, Merry Lees, Desford, South Leicester, Snibston, New Lount, Nailstone and Whitwick’s two mines; onto Asfordby Mine, near Melton. When that closed in 1997, Leicestershire miners worked in Nottingham, Coventry and Yorkshire pits. The NUM Leicester Branch continued to support members for many years after the closure of local pits, but is now closed.
Access status
  • Open
Conditions governing access
  • Open and available for researcher access, excepting records protected by the Data Protection Act/GDPR and those identified as sensitive by the depositors.
Conditions governing reproduction
  • Copies may be made for private research purposes only, dependent on the condition of the item and within copyright regulations.
Language/scripts of material
  • English
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
  • Deposited with Special Collections by the Leicestershire Miners’ Association, 2017.